Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Monday, August 17, 2009

Accountability is Encouraging

One of the things I encourage men to do is get into an accountability relationship with another man. In Proverbs 27: 17 God tells us how accountability is important.

Proverbs 27: 17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another 

I recently read about a great example of how this works.  I found the story on page 113 of "Stories for a Man's Heart" by Al & Alice Gray.

There's a wonderful story about Jimmy Durante, one of the greatest entertainers of a generation ago.  He was asked to be a part of a show for World War II veterans.  He told them his schedule was very busy and he could afford only a few minutes, but if they wouldn't mind his doing one short monologue and immediately leaving for his next appointment he would come.  Of course, the show's director agreed happily.

But when Jimmy got on stage, something interesting happened.  He went through the short monologue and then stayed.  The applause grew louder and louder and he kept staying.  Pretty soon, he had been on fifteen, twenty, then thirty minutes.  Finally, he took a last bow and left the stage.  Backstage someone stopped him and said, "I thought you had to go after a few minutes. What happened?"

Jimmy answered, "I did have to go, but I can show you the reason I stayed.  You can see for yourself if you'll look on the front row." In the front row ere two men, each had lost an arm in the war. One had lost his right arm and the other had lost his left.  Together, they were able to clap, and that's exactly what they were doing, loudly and cheerfully.

When men hold each other accountable it is like the two men who had lost their arms.  They help each other with what ever issue they are facing.  Jimmy also represents men in accountability because men in accountability stay with each other no matter what is pressing on them.

The men's group (REAL Men RoCK) I attend each week is important to me because I know I have men who are free to ask me how I am doing with the issues I face.  I also know they will stand by me no matter what is going on around us.

I encourage you to find a man or some men and grow in your relationship with them to the point where you trust them to hold you accountable.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like this blog could be interesting. I'm joining up to read to see. I'm interested in men's ministries that grow us as men.

I do an internet ministry called One Man Revival and would love for you to come take a look.

Frank
onemanrevival.blogspot.com