Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Life Changing Events - What's Yours?

It was a Saturday morning and infact it was the day before Easter 1980. I was just getting ready to get off from working the night shift at the boys home when I received a phone call from home. My wife told me it was time and for me to get home quick. When I arrived she had her bags packed and off to the hospital we went.

After two hours of labor she our daughter was born. I can still remember watching the events unfold and then hearing her cry for the first time. They cleaned her up and brought her over to us and her mom stuck her hand out and our daughter wrapped her tiny hand around her finger.

God used this moment in my life to change me and to move me forward past some bad habits.  From this day forward I quit smoking pot and reduced the amount of alcohol I drank to one beer or glass of wine when I drank. I began to take better care of my body by eating somewhat better and exercising more. The biggest change was a new interest in the spiritual and in knowing God.

I was thirty years old and not a good prospect for accepting Jesus as my savior. Here are some stats on that fact:

A survey by the International Bible Society -- indicated that 83% of all Christians make their commitment to Jesus between the ages of 4 and 14, that is, when they are children or early youth. 

The Barna Research Group surveys demonstrate that American children ages 5 to 13 have a 32% probability of accepting Christ, but youth or teens aged 14 to 18 have only a 4% probability of doing so. Adults age 19 and over have just a 6% probability of becoming Christians.
Here is a graph to make it even clearer why my conversion was a rare thing: 
Now 30 years later my daughter celebrated her birthday and she too is just now growing in her relationship with Jesus. I believe in her life it is me that God has used to guide her to having a relationship with Him. In the past few weeks I have watched as she has grown in her worship of Him. My daughter and I are living proof that even the 4% who come to Christ later in life can develop a close relationship with Jesus that results in an active Chrisitian faith.

I am interested in hearing your story about the event that happened in your life that moved you froward toward Jesus?

No comments: