Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Friday, April 30, 2010

A Perfect Day to Die

Thursday I spent the entire day with my cat, Figgy. It was about 75 degrees most of the day with some strong winds. It was my day off and I was struggling with the fact that I was going to be the one to take Figgy to our Vets office to have him put to sleep. His kidneys were failing, he had not eaten in five days and he was beginning to suffer. I knew the most human thing I could do for him no matter how painful it was to me was to have him put to sleep.

The day started off with me having my cup of coffee and our other cat, Kickin, sitting looking out the kitchen window. Figgy came to the top of the stairs wanting to go outside. I took my cup of coffee and went to the backdoor. I opened it and Figgy and I headed outside. We walked down the driveway and Figgy sniffed the clean warm air. We walked side by side like good friends through the front yard to the bamboo garden where he stretched out and laid down. 

Later we walked to the front yard and we laid on a blanket with Figgy stretched out and his four paws against me enjoying the breeze and warmth of the day. 

Finally we ended up at the Herb garden where Figgy laid for a while enjoying the sunshine. It was almost time for us to make the trip to the Vets. I was struggling with the pain of saying good-bye. It was as if he knew too that the time had come.  

The time had come for us to leave so I took Figgy inside and set him on our kitchen table. As I was getting ready to pick him up our other cat, Kickin, began to lick his face. After about five minutes of cleaning Figgy up they looked at each other and I picked Fig up and took him to the car. 

I did not place him in the cat carrier as I usually did when we went to the Vets. Instead I just let him loose in the car. He sat on my lap and looked up at me. The look was similar to the first day we picked him up. It was a look of love and trust that I was going to do for him the best I could.

I do not want to talk about being at the Vets.

For most of the day Thursday I prayed that God would let Figgy die at home but now I am glad He instead let me have a full and impactful day with Figgy.

What is the purpose of this post? I think God was showing me that the worse days could be the best of days. As a Christian I know that when I die I will spend the remaining of my days in a deeper relationship with the Creator God. I could not ask for a better day to lose a good friend than I had Thursday. I can only pray now that I can enjoy the time with those who love me as I was able to have with Figgy.

I encourage you not to take for granted the people in your life. Cherish each and every day you have with them. You will have moments when you are angry as hell with them but let it go quickly. Most of all thank God for those who you love and ask Him for time to enjoy each moment of life that we share.

1 comment:

Jimmy Ng said...

I like your closing advice to not take for granted the people in your life and cherish each and every day with them.

Yes, we can only have one life and once we depart from this world it's forever. Life is short therefore we should spend more time with our love ones and be close to them.

I can feel the pain you felt when you put your Figgy to sleep. Take care.