Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Don't sit on your stuff!

In 2006 I was ordained as a pastor in the Association of Vineyard Churches and since then I have not found a paying position as a pastor. For a while I felt as though I was not fulfilling what God had made me for and that I was not using the gifts and talents He gave me through the Holy Spirit.

For the last six months I have worked in Loss Prevention. It can seem pretty boring at times, until someone actually tries to steal something. I am pretty much doing what appears to be nothing at all.

What does being ordained as a pastor and working in Loss Prevention have in common? On the surface nothing at all but both professions have within them an opportunity to make a profound difference in the life of an individual.

Even though I do not have a paid position as a pastor I actually work as a pastor. To a group of guys who meet each Thursday evening at Vineyard Church in Overland Park, KS I am their counseling pastor. To some couples in Louisburg, KS I am a leader of a small group that we call Wildcats or the Vineyard Small Group of Louisburg. I serve on the Core Group for the Men's Ministry and help lead the Angel Tree Ministry at Vineyard Church. I also help with a Moving Ministry that some of the men do at Vineyard Church. So even though I am not a paid pastor, God has certainly given me many opportunities to minister. All I have had to do is make time to do what He has placed in front of me.

Each day that I go to my job as a Loss Prevention person I pray for God to help me find that one person who is attempting to steal and for me to have the opportunity to minister to them. When I walk through the front door of our building my goal is to change a life not catch a thief.

I use the talents and gifts that God has given me in both my opportunities to minister and my job in Loss Prevention. Whether I am leading a small group or working in loss prevention I have the opportunity to make a difference in someone else's life.

You may not be working as a pastor but God has given you gifts to minister to others. You can make a difference in someone else's life. All you have to do is make the time to use your gifts in ministry.

So here is my question: "What are you doing with the stuff God has given you?"

I encourage you to take the stuff God has given you and put it into use in the life of another person. I know once you break through the walls of your comfort zone that keep you sitting on the sidelines that you will find great enjoyment and satisfaction in serving God by serving others.

3 comments:

box offices said...

nice
http://natabokeoffices.blogspot.com

Over the Road Coffee said...

Today at the Vineyard Church we had a guest speaker, Gary Best. He challenged each of to discover our mission field and make it a goal to introduce Jesus to one person over the next three years.

It then struck me my mission field is the large retail center I work at. If I am open to what God is doing there I can minister to people each day.

No matter what your job is or where you live God can open the door for ministry. All you have to do is be more aware of the door and then willing to walk through it.

Anonymous said...

That's so great that you've found a way to make a difference outside of what you expected God would be giving you. I think He's showing a lot of us that same path - be more 'in' the world, not 'in' the church all the time.