Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Work Out Your Salvation

We are told in Philippians 2: 12 to work out our own salvation and I use to wonder what this verse was telling me and I believe some of you might be somewhat confused about what this verse is telling you. We are told over and over again by Paul and other writers that Salvation is a gift from God through Jesus Christ. Just how do we work out our own salvation? Can we save ourselves?

Let's look at this verse from several translations to get a better understanding of what Paul is telling us.

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; (New King James)

What I'm getting at, friends, is that you should simply keep on doing what you've done from the beginning. When I was living among you, you lived in responsive obedience. Now that I'm separated from you, keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts. Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure. (The Message)

Therefore, my dear ones, as you have always obeyed [my suggestions], so now, not only [with the enthusiasm you would show] in my presence but much more because I am absent, work out (cultivate, carry out to the goal, and fully complete) your own salvation with reverence and awe and trembling (self-distrust, with serious caution, tenderness of conscience, watchfulness against temptation, timidly shrinking from whatever might offend God and discredit the name of Christ). (Amplified Bible)

The Message says, "Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God."
The Amplified Bible says, "work out (cultivate, carry out to the goal, and fully complete) your own salvation."

Farmers know that to cultivate a field it requires turning the soil and preparing it for seeding. A runner knows that to be energetic in their sport they have to work out to prepare for the next race.

In Philippians 2: 13 Paul tells us, "That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure." It appears what Paul is telling us in this verse is to work out of our salvation by the energy that God gives us to do the work God has begun in us.

So how do you work out your salvation? I believe Jesus gives us a clue in Matthew 25: 34-40
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why:

I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.'

"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'

I encourage you to work out your salvation by working out of your salvation by being the hands and feet of Jesus. But keep in mind that even the energy and the cultivation of your salvation comes from God and in your good works the glory is His.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Lars, thanks for following my blog. It's good to see you back! Your writing continues to be great. I hope God is blessing your ministry and providing for you. See you around!