Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Friday, June 5, 2009

Extroverts and Introverts - How has God made you?

We have all heard that there are two basic types of personalities: Introvert or Extrovert. As I was riding my mountain bike this morning this blog came to me.  Out of those two types flow the four different profiles: Drivers, Inspirational, Supportive, Competent. 

For the purpose of this blog the definitions I will use are these:
Extrovert - Gets inspired by being around people or doing things for people.
Introvert - Gets inspired by being a lone or by being reflective.

There is nothing wrong with being an Introvert or an Extrovert unless you have taken on that personality for the wrong reason.

I will use my life for an example. When I was a child between the ages of three and seven I was an outgoing and spontaneous kid. I was always being the center of attention in a natural and childish way. I was a jokester from the beginning.

When I was seven and in the second grade I had a teacher humiliate me in front of the class. I went from being an extrovert to an introvert to hide from being the center of attention. Now 52 years later I feed off of being around other people see Proverbs 27: 17 As iron sharpens iron,so one man sharpens another.

I believe we operate in a certain personality but at times move into the other. For example I am an Extrovert but I also enjoy the solitude of a bike ride in the country. I am 75% Extrovert and 25% Introvert. When I am an Introvert I hear God speaking to me and when I am an Extrovert I am pouring out into the lives of others what God shared with me. This post is an example of that.

Now do I believe that being 75% Introvert and 25% Extrovert a liability or wrong? NO! These folks bring us the great writings and other material that motivates us to make changes that fit God's plan for our lives.

What we need is for the Extroverts and Introverts to join together under the guidance of the Holy Spirit to represent the Kingdom of God to those who have never experienced it.
As an Extrovert I struggle to sometimes grasp what God is saying in the Bible but when an Introvert can sit with me and share their insight to what God is saying I can then apply it to my life.
Sometimes we become what other people drive us to be instead of being who God made us to be. This is when I think it is wrong to be either an extrovert or introvert.  I encourage you to discover your foundational personality type and then use that to discover your strengths.  Your life is either fueled by being around and doing things for people or by reflecting on God's word and writing stuff that motivates people to take action.  Both are a vital part of increasing God's Kingdom.  
 
I recommend the following two books for you to read, "Positive Personality Profiles" by Robert A. Rohm and "Personality Plus" by Florance Littauer.

2 comments:

LazyKing said...

great post, even though I dont know where I fit in

Anonymous said...

I am an introvert and my identical twin is an extrovert. We balance each other out very well!!!