Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Thursday, November 19, 2009

REAL Men RoCK Men's Group

Over two years ago my best friend, Doug Walton, and I started a small group called, "REAL Men RoCK".  When Doug died several months later I struggled to keep it going but I believe I did and moved it in a different direction.  One of the goals from the beginning was to get men to develop closer personal relationships with other men.  Many of the men who attend on a regular basis have done exactly that.  On Thursday, November 19th, we are going to have our last meeting and here is what I shared:

We looked at Philippians 1: 3-6 Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. I am so pleased that you have continued on in this with us, believing and proclaiming God's Message, from the day you heard it right up to the present. There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.

 7-8 It's not at all fanciful for me to think this way about you. My prayers and hopes have deep roots in reality. You have, after all, stuck with me all the way from the time I was thrown in jail, put on trial, and came out of it in one piece. All along you have experienced with me the most generous help from God. He knows how much I love and miss you these days. Sometimes I think I feel as strongly about you as Christ does!

When Doug and I began this group called REAL Men RoCK we had a vision of a group of men growing in our relationships as we studied the word of God. I am so thankful for what God has done through the Holy Spirit over the past two years.

Here are some things I am thankful for regarding the men who have been in this group.

Ken, I appreciate the Determination and Positive Attitude you have displayed as you have journeyed through the employment struggles.

Brian, I am thankful for the Dream that God has given you to serve the hungry.

Chuck, I am encouraged by your Desire to keep moving forward in overcoming.

Brad, I have enjoyed watching a Leader being developed who has a desire to serve others.

Rick, I am enjoying being part of the Dream that God has placed in your heart. I am glad you are taking the risk to pursue it.

Doug, I have enjoyed serving with a Real Servant Leader.

Neal, I thank you for your desire to bring Prayer into everything we do. Your Heart for others stirs me to action.

Mark, I appreciate your willingness to Risk coming to a group where you did not know anyone. That desire for Male friendship is a desire many men would like to have but fear.

Charles, Even though you only came to one meeting I believe you represent the results that Doug and I had hoped for.

Rob, I miss what God was doing in our midst. You are an important part of the growth I experienced the past three years.

I am so thankful that God connected me up with Doug Walton. He challenged me in many ways and always gave me something to think about. God used him to show me a faith that I was looking for. Each of you men have been used by God to move me forward as a Christian man and I am thankful for having had the honor of leading the group you choose to join.

One of the things I encouraged you to do is to develop closer relationships with each other and several of you have done that. I must admit I failed to be as faithful in doing what I preached. Sure my job kept me from having much free time but if something is important to you, you will find a way to do it. I apologize for not being a better leader in that aspect.

Mark Warner, Senior Pastor at Vineyard Church, taught us in VLI that when a wine skin no longer holds wine it is time to replace it. Our Thursday evening group since moving from the Vineyard has began to appear to be just that type of wine skin with attendance down to two or three each week. I believe it has served its purpose and now must be replaced with something better for each of you. After tonight, REAL Men RoCK, will no longer meet on Thursday evenings. I terminate it with sadness but also with the joy that I have received over the past two years. I can honestly say that I love each of you as a brother and that I look forward to continuing our friendship but maybe through one on one meeting. I intend to keep Thursday evenings open for opportunities to meet with you in a more personal way.

I want to thank each of you for trusting me with your dreams, your fears and your wounds.

No comments: