Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Music for the Soul

As I was growing up I had several experiences that caused me to never develop any musical skills. I cannot carry a tune nor can I play even a simple instrument but I appreciate good music. I find that music sooths my soul and it can stir me emotions that have long been capped. When I attend worship services I sometimes find tears flowing down my cheeks as the Holy Spirit moves me through the songs we are singing.

I love going to YouTube and listening to the different attempts by people to express themselves through music or even pretending to be singing a song. Here are a some from Playing for Change. Note: The people who are featured here are very talented and I am often stirred by their ability to sing and the songs they sing.

Stand by Me


There is not a person who has lived or is alive today that would not love to have people stand by them.

One Love


I know this song is not about Jesus or God but what this song stirs in me is that there is One Love that can bring us together and it is found in our Creator.

A Change Is Gonna Come


This song stirs in me the hope of change in the world when the Kingdom of God comes in it's fulness.

A Better Man


God is telling me through this song that I can become a better man and that I will be a person of significance. 

Sometimes we get caught up in placing people in little boxes but I believe God wants us to break down those walls and He gave us music that helps us to do that. Look at the example of Saul and David in 1 Samuel 18 where when Saul was troubled by an evil spirit David's playing the harp soothed his soul. God created music and He intended it to stir us both to tears and to joy.

I encourage you to find those songs that stir you and listen to them intently for the message that God wants to give you through them. God stirs me by the blues, by country, by Bluegrass and by contemporary Christian music. When I hear a song that stirs my emotions I know that most often God is either touching a wound with healing or stirring a passion in me that needs to be brought alive.

I hope you enjoyed the songs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love music also. I especially enjoy the street entertainers. Check out the movie "August Rush", this is a great movie that involves musicians...