Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Monday, January 12, 2009

Competition in the Kingdom

I shared earlier how I recently attended a church dedication where a minister from another church first welcomed the new church into the community and then he shared a vision God gave him for his church. He spoke of five things that God had stirred him to focus on:
1. Pray for an out-pouring of the Holy Spirit in an unprecedented way in the community.
2. Pray that the people of the community would see Jesus as He really is.
3. Pray that the people of the community would be healed of any wounds the church has caused.
4. Pray for and guide the church to wake up to the needs of the community.
5. Pray for and guide the church to see God's plan for the community.

As I listened to these five things God stirred me to think of my own community. I had just decided to start a new home group which would take place in our community and so I considered these five things in context of how could I use this group to focus on these things.

I live in a small community 20 miles south of Kansas City, a major city on the border of Kansas and Missouri. I attend the Vineyard Church in Overland Park which is a suburb of this large city. I share this because it is important in regard to what I share next.

Because I attend church in a community outside of my town I reside in I decided to share out of respect with other pastors that I am starting a small group in our community. In my letter I also shared the five things the pastor shared at the dedication.

I received a response from a local pastor in which I was taken to task about not going to church in the community I live in. I was told unless I attend church here I should not consider reaching out to those who are hurting and not attending church in our community. I was told that our community is not a mission field for outside churches or for people like me. I was told that I was doing something wrong and risky by wanting to reach out to those who do not attend church since I go to church in another community. I was told because I attend church in another community I could not understand the problems in my own community. Unlike the church dedication in the other city this letter was not a welcome letter but in my mind a "How dare you" letter.

I lead a men's group each week and before we have our meeting one of the guys and I play ping pong and I am known as a competitive guy. I share this because I am a competitive guy except when it comes to sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

My view point is the more the better in the sharing of the Gospel of God and we should join together in spreading the Word of God. There is no turf in the Kingdom of God, it all belongs to Him and who am I to tell someone else not to do what Jesus told the disciples to do in Matthew 28: 18-20. "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." This verse does not say we must only share the gospel in the community you live and attend church in. Setting boundaries is a worldly action not a Kingdom action.

Why do I share this situation? Sometimes Christians, especially pastors, can become territorial about doing the work of the Kingdom. In Luke 9: 46-56 we are told about how the disciples argued about who was going to be the greatest and a question about someone who was not among their ranks casting out demons in Jesus name. It would be good for us to hear Jesus response.

"Whoever receives this child in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me; for he who is least among you, this is the one who is greatest."

"Do not hinder him; for he who is not against us is for you."

I believe when we get territorial with the Gospel of God we are serving ourselves and not the Kingdom. I understand that I am not to seek people to bring into my group who are already attending church and that is why I wrote the letter in the first place. I wrote it to openly let pastors in my community to know I was starting a small group which would focus on those who do not attend church at all. I wanted it to be out in the open and not have word of our home group get to them through the rumor mills of our community.

The reason for this post is to stir in you a question about what your motives are for doing things for the Kingdom of God. Are you looking to be greater than someone else? Are you looking to build your name? or Are you looking to build the name of God? Are you looking to serve rather than be noticed? The reply from the local pastor stirred those questions in me about my motive and I found that the reason I am starting the home group is because I want to serve those who do not attend a church. I want to do through our small group the five things the pastor shared. If that causes our local churches to be stirred to action then maybe that is a good thing. But it is not a good thing for there to be a spirit of competition and an attitude like the one this local pastor has.

As for me and my situation I am moving forward and not allowing the attitude and reaction of local pastors to keep me from reaching out to those who have been hurt by life circumstances or even the church. It is more risky not to respond to what God is calling me to do than it is to step out in faith and do it. My job is to focus doing what will bring glory to God.

I say rejoice when someone who is firmly grounded in God's word reaches out to the poor in spirit of your community and if that irks you then get up, repent you haven't been engaged and help. I challenge you to encourage others when they are engaged in the sharing of the Gospel of God. Tear down any territorial walls you have built concerning God's Kingdom. Bring glory to God not yourself.

No comments: