Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Almost Bankrupted

I recently commented about a post about the movie “The Blind Side” on facebook: When Kat and I saw this movie I cried because what the mom did the church should be doing. Good question for the church, "What is your business?" "How's business?" I would expect most churches if they answered honestly would have to say they were almost bankrupt.

I received a response from an individual who agreed that the church should be doing what the movie was about but they disagreed with the rest of my statement. With this post I want to show why I made that statement and I will use several different resources to prove my case.

Christianity Is No Longer Americans’ Default Faith – The Barna Group

According to Tom Ambrose THE CHURCH IN AMERICA: IMPOTENT & IRRELEVENT

Observations on the State of the Church in America by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.

The sad state of today’s church in America By thefallenworld

The Blind Beggar exploring the missional paradigm

Church attendance

Christian hurt by church by The Barna Group

What is the business of the church? I am not talking about pastors and teachers but the church (people). Let’s look at what Jesus instructed us to do through His teachings.


Matthew 28: 16-20 Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally. 

Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

Matthew 25: 34- 40 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why: 

  I was hungry and you fed me, 
  I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, 
  I was homeless and you gave me a room, 
  I was shivering and you gave me clothes, 
  I was sick and you stopped to visit, 
  I was in prison and you came to me.' 

"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'

Just from these two passages we see that the commission of the church is to make disciples and to care for those who are hungry, thirsty, homeless, in need, sick and in prison. I could list more scriptures that include other responsibilities but let’s just focus on these in explaining how most of the church is almost bankrupt.

If you read the supporting material you will find that the church in America is on the decline not the increase. If your finances were in decline you would say you were drawing close to being bankrupt.

According to another Barna survey Survey Reveals the Life Christians Desire

Adults who define themselves as Christian but are not born again constitute about half of the population that embraces the "Christian" label. This group, known as Notional Christians, had different interests compared to their evangelical and non-evangelical born again counterparts, especially in relation to faith. Notional Christians were less than half as likely to say that being active in a church was very desirable (32%), were one-third less likely to list having a close personal relationship with God as very desirable (65%), and were only half as likely to portray being deeply committed to the Christian faith as very desirable (46%).

Notional adults were also less likely to include living with a high degree of integrity (81%), having one marriage partner for life (75%) and having a clear purpose for life (72%) among their most desirable future conditions. They were slightly less likely to identify making a difference in the world as personally compelling (54%). The only outcome that Notionals deemed to be more highly desirable than did the two born again segments was owning the latest household technology and equipment.

This is why I say the American church on the most part is failing in it’s calling and has gotten off track trying to please people instead of lead people. I know that most pastors would disagree with this because it implicates they have failed to do their duties. It is time pastors lay down their pride and admit the church is in need of being lead back to doing what Jesus instructed the church to do.

From the material I have read and the experiences I have had I stand by my original comment.

“Good question for the church, "What is your business?" "How's business?" I would expect most churches if they answered honestly would have to say they were almost bankrupt.”

44% of Americans attend church. In the United States, 83% of all adults label themselves “Christian. If 83% of Americans consider themselves Christian but only 44% of Americans attend church each week what does that tell us about the state of the church in America? In my mind this tells me the church is not doing business very well and business is not good. 
Here is the fact that keeps most pastors from admitting this truth: They are employed by the church and I am not. I have nothing to lose by proclaiming the truth but they do. Sure by telling things like they are I get labeled as a trouble maker or a radical but then again I am in good company because Jesus lead the way in radical opinions about the established church of His day.

No comments: