Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Monday, August 16, 2010

Are You Settling In Haran?


Genesis 11: 31 "And Terah took Abram his son, Lot the son of Haran, his grandson, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram's wife, and they went forth together to go from Ur of the Caldees into the land of Canaan; but when they came to Haran, they settled there".

From this passage I take it that the actually place Terah was to go was the land of Canaan but for some reason he stopped and settled in Haran.

He may have found the fertile area of Haran more desirable than continuing on to Canann. He may have encountered difficulties that seemed too great to continue the trip. 

I believe often in our lives we too seem to do what Terah did and quit moving toward our goal. We instead "settle" for what we have instead of pursuing our dream.

I believe that God has placed in you a dream. This dream has it's foundation in the experiences you have had and talents that you have been given. Often this dream gets covered with the dust from negative experiences or failed expectations. It could be wounds that have come from actions of people in your life or it could be addictions you have developed to cover the wounds of life.

When I watch movies or real life stories that are about people touching the lives of those in need I often feel a stirring in my heart. I believe this stirring is God's Holy Spirit letting me know that I am made to pursue my dream of fulfilling the mission He has given to me. REAL Men RoCK is part of that calling. I write here about those things I have experienced and how God has provided for the wounds of my life. Another part of that dream He has given me is to follow Jesus in preaching the Good News of the Kingdom of God, proclaim release to the captives, to set free the downtrodden and proclaim the "Favorable Year of the Lord" (Luke 4: 18-19).

Do you experience those stirrings? What is it that causes you to come alive? If you can identify those moments then I encourage you to write them down. Ask God to show you just what it means and for Him to reveal what it is He wants you to do with those stirrings.

I want to recommend two books that might help you as you discover your dream.

1. "The Dream Giver" by Bruce Wilkinson

2. "Never Give UP!" by Joyce Meyer

John Eldredge says this in his book, "Dare to Desire": "Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

So what is it that "Makes you come alive?" You will know it because it stirs your heart. Don't settle for what you have but Come alive!

3 comments:

Cammie Novara said...

"He may have found the fertile area of Haran more desirable than continuing on to Canann." I agree fully. There's a really fascinating debate that I thought would be of interest on evolution vs. intelligent design going on at http://www.intelligentdesignfacts.com

Over the Road Coffee said...

That is the way it is with many of us. We often find that a certain place seems more desirable than where God wants to take us. So we stop moving forward and settle for what is available where we are. Yes, it might be fertile and it may have been desirable but what if it was the best that God had for him? What if we stop short of the blessings God wants to give us and settle for a lessor blessing?

Stela James said...

Hi found your content to be very interesting appreciate the good work you doing…
home business