Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Church - Part II

Sometimes what I write gets me in trouble with other pastors but oh, well here I go again.

Stats show that 52% of the people in our county do not identify with a church and that many of the other 48% do not attend church on a regular basis. My question is why?

I think there are some answers to that question which will tic off some pastors and Christians. Not long ago I heard in a meeting this phrase, "There is a glitch in the system and that glitch is you!" I think that can be applied to the state of the church today. The reason many do not identify or attend church is looks us in the mirror every morning.

As I was trying to go to sleep this thought hit me so I had to get up and write it. "Sunday morning is the most superficial day of the whole week. Many of the people who attend church each week are pretending to be something they are not." Harsh words? No, it is the truth. I know I have lived it and I watch it weekly. 

In America today what do most men hear when they hear a pastor speak? "They hear us saying one thing but watch us living another." They hear, "Quit being greedy but then they see a pastor focus on money." They hear, "Quit being number one and then they watch as the pastor pulls into his or her own parking place close to the front door." They hear, "We want men involved but then they are expected to leave their manhood at the front door."

On Sunday mornings people walk into churches where very few people are being real and many are playing a Sunday morning role. When Sunday rolls around people put on their Sunday appearance and behavior. They suddenly become saints and unreal but once services are over they easily slip back into the old clothes of life. Many who know us Monday through Saturday would not recognize us Sunday morning.

I believe that many more would attend if they knew and felt that church was a place where the sinner could find healing for their brokenness. Where they found that Matthew 9: 12-13 and Mark 10: 41-45 were the foundation for all ministry.

Matthew 9: 12-13

(Message) Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

(New American Standard) But when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. "But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Mark 10: 41-45

41 Hearing this, the ten began to feel indignant with James and John. 42 Calling them to Himself, Jesus said to them, "You know that those who are recognized as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great men exercise authority over them. 43 "But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; 44 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all. 45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

I believe everyone wants to belong to something real. Sinners will come to a church where they know that sin is addressed in an honest convicting way but without condemnation. They will come if they know that long time believers who have been changed by the Holy Spirit welcome them in their filthy rags and who will walk with them as they change.

I am going to post this now but will be updating it over the next few days as the Holy Spirit leads me.

Update 7/23/10: What I am saying about being artificial on Sunday mornings is we walk into church trying to hide our brokenness. When we do that we give the impression to those who are new one that they cannot relate to or hope to reach. If they were to secretly watch many of us during the other days they would see a much different person than they see Sunday mornings.

What they should be seeing is a person who the Holy Spirit working in and who admits they struggle with issues of life. 

Update 7/25/10: I asked the question www.BlogCatalog.com "What is your response to the word church" and I have gotten almost 90 response from people and most have not been positive. I am saddened by some of the responses because the church has not always been what Jesus would want us to be.

No comments: