Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Thursday, December 18, 2008

REAL Men RoCK - a year end recap

Before the year ends I believe it is appropriate to revisit why I began this blog. I hope by doing so I provide some inspiration for someone else to go after their dream.

A few years ago I was doing my regular thing at church greeting people and looking for either a new person or someone who looked like they needed someone to talk with. In walked this nice looking guy who headed straight for me and as he came up to me he stuck out his hand and said, "Hi my name is Doug, I am an ex-con who has been redeemed by the blood of Jesus." At that moment I knew we were going to have an interesting relationship.

Doug and I developed a neat relationship over the next few years. We were accountability partners, team members on a mowing crew and developing plans to do ministry together. Our first experience in ministry was starting a men's small group and it was our hope that within the next two years we would plant a church either in the inner-city of Kansas City or at the Lake of the Ozarks. Two very different churches but the same goal of reaching out and sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the down and out, the addicted and the rejected. Last year Doug discovered he had cancer and late this past spring he died.

What does that have to do with this blog called REAL Men? Everything because you see Doug was a Righteous, Encouraging, Accountable and Loving Man who Relied on Christ's Kindness. He was the inspiration for REAL Men RoCK.

Just what does REAL Men stand for?

R = Righteous
E = Encouraging
A = Accountable
L = Loving

Men

R = Rely
on
C = Christ's
K = Kindness

Doug and I began our small group based on REAL Men RoCK.

1st - Being Righteous does not involve the things you do, the things you know or the thing you believe. All of that leads to self-righteousness which elevates the self above others. True righteousness is found in having faith that Jesus is our righteousness.

Romans 3: 10 says: "As the scriptures say, "No one is good - not even one."

1 John 2: 1-2 My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if you do sin, there is someone to plead for you before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who pleases God completely. He is the sacrifice for our sins, He takes away not only our sin but the sins of all the world.

To be righteous means you are free of the guilt of sin. Your works, knowledge and beliefs cannot do that for you. Only God Himself can take away your guilt and replace it with righteousness.

2nd - As followers of Jesus we are to encourage those around us.

Isaiah 1: 17 Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the orphan. Fight for the rights of the widows.

1 Thessalonians 5: 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Our thoughts, actions and beliefs must spring from our faith in Jesus and the credit for anything good we do be given to God.

3rd - As men we need to be held accountable. I believe 100% of men who go to church have a problem in one of the following areas: Pride, Greed, Power, Lust, Life Controlling Habits, Fear, Work, Marriage, Parenting. We need other men to come around us and support and keep us moving in the right direction.

Romans 14: 12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Proverbs 27: 17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

4th - We are to men men who love.

Ephesians 5: 33 However, each of you also must love his wife as he does himself...

Romans 12: 9-10 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Finally - Unless we rely on Christ's kindness which leads us to repentance we cannot be righteous, be truly encouraging, be willing to be held accountable, or show unconditional love.

Romans 2: 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to

This blog sprang from a dream of Luke 4: 18-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are downtrodden, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord."

Doug and I felt we were called to follow in Jesus footsteps as ministers to those who are captive to addictions, who feel rejected and to empower men and women to use their spiritual gifts in service to others.

My goal is to write each post with all of this in mind.

After each post I look forward to reading the comments made by the readers. The only way I improve this blog or know if I have touched someone is by people leaving their comments. Not only do you help me when you comment but you leave something for someone else to benefit from.

I believe each person who visits REAL Men RoCK does so because God lead them here.

I began this post saying I hope it inspires someone to move forward in their dream. If you have a dream and are ready to pursue it please share it with me. I want to encourage you along the journey.

My Father in Heaven, thank You for this blog, thank You for blessing me, may I continue to seek and do Your will. Bless all who read this and give them encouragement. In Jesus name amen

No comments: