Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Thursday, December 11, 2008

What happens at the beginning of each new year? Many people make a New Year's Resolution and most end up giving up on it within the first month. With this post I am going to encourage you to try something different.

Let me begin by sharing something I read on page 54 of John Maxwell's book, "The Winning Attitude". A set of attitudes accompanies each personality. Generally people with certain temperaments develop specific attitudes common to that temperament. A few years ago, pastor and counselor Tim LaHaye made us aware of four basic temperaments. Through observation, I have noticed that a person with what he calls a Choleric personality often exhibits attitudes of perseverance and aggressiveness. A Sanguine person will be generally positive and look on the bright side of life. The introspective Melancholy can be negatives at times while the Phlegmatic says, "Easy come, easy go." An individuals personality is composed of a mixture of these temperaments, and there are exceptions to these examples. However, a temperament follows a track that can be identified by tracing a person's attitude.

Each of you reading this have a dominate personality type and one you operate in now and then. For example, I am a Sanguine who occasionally operates as a Choleric. My wife, my daughter and I vacationed in Miami, FL and attended a conference where we heard Dr. Robert Rohm speak on personality types. Dr. Rohn labels a Choleric "D" for Drivers or Doers, a Sanguine "I" for Inspirational, a Melancholy "S" for Steady or Stable and Phlegmatic "C" for Competent. I took, my wife and daughter to the conference when Dr. Rohm spoke and the next day we were driving to the airport and as we pulled up to the terminal my daughter said, "Mom, did you see that!", "Dad went from an "I" to a "D" just like that.

Here is my suggestion: Get one of the books listed below either at your local library or purchase it at one of the online stores listed below or at your local book store. Discover your personality type and then set a goal for next year considering your personality type. Make it a goal that moves you forward in your personal life but with steps that take into account your personality type.

For me I would set a goal of having a more consist ant exercise workout by listing the positive things about doing so and then making it something I can use to inspire other guys to do the same thing. I would also find someone to challenge me by holding me accountable to my efforts.

Personality Plus by Florence Littauer at ChristianBook.com $10.00
Positive Personality Profiles by Robert A. Rohm at Amazon.com $18.00

A caution about setting goals: "You will struggle at first in achieving your goals but I want to encourage you to get back up with the help of God and move forward in achieving your goal." I believe if you will try this you can achieve the goal you set and then use the experience to set another goal which might be a little harder.



Please share a goal you would like to accomplish in 2009 and keep us informed how you did.

No comments: