Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Saturday, November 22, 2008

The fear, joy and thankfulness of a little boy

It was bedtime and the dad pulled the covers up to the chin of his son, he ran his rough hand over the boy's crew cut hair and then turned to leave the room. "Daddy, what time are you leaving in the morning?" The father turned and replied, "early very early, good night" and he slipped out of the bedroom pulling the door shut behind him.

The young boy woke to the sound of the truck door shutting and jumped out of bed as he heard the truck start up. He ran to the front door and out onto the porch to watch as his dad drove up the street on the long trip to the town he was working in. The boy stood there in the early morning light quietly crying as the tail lights of his dad's truck disappeared. With tears streaming down his face he turned to go back in the house. His tears flowed from the fear that he would not see his dad again.

At the end of a long week the boy would jump for joy and run to greet his dad as he drove into the driveway. He was so thankful that his dad had returned.

I can still feel the pain in my heart and the warm tears that flowed down my cheeks when my dad would get in his truck and drive off to work out of town each week. I can also remember the joy of having the fear erased each Friday evening when my dad would drive into our driveway.

As I consider that time period in my life I am thankful for a dad who when he was home he was 100% ours never his own. I am thankful for a dad who expressed his love by touch but not in words.

Here in the United States we begin this week focusing on our yearly "Thanksgiving Day" celebration. I want you to help me finish this post and share one thing you are thankful for. By you and I sharing something that we are thankful for we will encourage someone else to consider what they are thankful for. Thanks for sharing and stirring a thankful heart in others by doing so. I pray that you will have a blessed week.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am thanking God for sending me the love of my life this past year. I was married for 18 years and then single for another 18 years and then God surprised me in the middle of my life by sending a wonderful man to be my husband and lover. I feel loved like I never knew was possible and a love has been kindled inside of me that is beyone my imagination. We are blessed.

Unknown said...

I am thankful for a father, a heavenly father, who never has to leave early in the morning. He is always with me, very near by, even when I don't recognize Him in my crowded life. I am thankful for God choosing to have a real relationship with me inspite of my failings and inadequacies. And finally, I am thankful for the blessings I have received for having had the courage to say "yes" to God. -jeff