Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Monday, November 10, 2008

I have corrupted my wife!!!!

My wife, Kat, had the day off today and as I was busy sending out some resumes she remarked how she would like to go to Lawrence, KS to do some shopping. We like to go flea marketing and so off we went.

We spent two hours at the Lawrence Antique Mall located at 830 Massachusetts. The store is two floors of all kinds of stuff. Kat collects carrot items and so my job is to look in every corner of every booth looking for anything with a carrot on it. I looked at old news paper prints for adds of carrots. At the end of our time we found one carrot item.

I have a routine with my grandkids based on a 3 Stooges skit. Whenever one of them says Niagara Falls I stiffen, slowly turn and as I do I say, "Niagara Falls, slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch, and I grab them and tickle them". I wanted to find something with Niagara Falls on it so I spent 45 minutes going through hundreds maybe thousands of old post cards to find only one that had Niagara Falls on it. The card was sent to someone on March 11, 1913 and I think it will make a nice gift for one of my grandkids.

One of my hero's is Abraham Lincoln and as I looked through the stacks and stacks of post cards I found an old card of a picture of Mr. Lincoln.

Another one of my hero's when I was growing up was John Paul Jones, the father of the US Navy and I found a book about his life but I am too cheap to pay $8.00 for it.

When we left the Antique Mall we went to lunch at Spangles a really good burger place.

After lunch we drove back downtown and spent another two hours walking up and down Massachusetts Street. Our final stop was a metal artist shop called "It's About Time located at 816 Massachusetts. I purchased an American flag metal art to hang either in my office or on our front porch.

It was a fun afternoon and as we got back into our Jeep, Kat turned to me and proudly proclaimed she had purchased something for me. She then clarified her statement by saying she had purchased something for me that I can give to Mark Warner, the senior pastor at the Vineyard Church in Overland Park, KS. She pulled out a coffee cup. It was a beautiful coffee cup with a beach scene, with the words Jam Session printed on it and 7 Pink Flamingos wearing swim trunks standing on the beach.

It was at this point that I realized I had corrupted my sweet wife's life with my sense of humor.

You see last year for Pastor Appreciation Month I talked a couple of people in joining me in purchasing a nice gift for Mark. It was the perfect gift for anyone who loved working in the garden and would enjoy a piece of art work among the flowers.

It as a nice 4' Pink Flamingo that would lite up at dust.

Now you know the truth, after 22 years of marriage, my wife has begun to think like me.

Oh by the way, Mark if this mug turns up on your desk, I have to confess my wife did it.

1 comment:

J. A. Colon said...

After we pass 18 and the closer we get to 100 years old, the strangest our sense of humor gets. It was that way with my dad, and it is that way with me.

I enjoyed reading your blog.

May God Bless you my friend.

Joe