Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Friday, November 14, 2008

What do you want?


When I graduated from high school one of my teachers told me I would never be more than average. This was based of course on the examples I set during the four years he knew me. Because of my 2nd and 5th grade experiences I purposely choose to become a slow reader. I knew that I would not have to stand in front of the class if I had not finished the book assignment. Because of the choices I made I found it difficult to comprehend what I read and so for years I almost stopped reading.

When I was 32 years old I made some decisions about my shyness and my fear of standing in front of groups to speak. I spent 6 years of being involved with a speaking club called Spokesman Club and one of the things we had to do was read books and the Bible to back up whatever we spoke on. As a result I began to read again and I started building a library. Today I have over 200 books in my library that I have read completely or partially.

One of the books I often quote from is "Dare to Desire" by John Eldredge. The book speaks to me in many ways but one chapter inspires me the most and that is "Taking Up the Journey". The beginning of the chapter quotes Jesus, "What do you want?" This is probably from Matthew 20 when Jesus encountered two blind men 32 And Jesus stopped and called them, and said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" I believe that is a question Jesus is asking you and me today.

Have you ever thought about and answered these questions:
1. "If you could do what you've always wanted to do, what would it be?"
2. "What keeps you from doing what you always wanted to do?"

Some of us would answer that it is too late for me to accomplish anything more than what I have. Some would say I do not have the money to do what I always wanted to do. Others would use the excuse I have for so many years, I am not smart enough, rich enough or talented enough. And some would say there are just too many problems in the world and I do not know wher eto begin.

That last reason we do not more forward in our calling is the one I want to provide a solution to and it comes on page 39 of John's book. He quotes another book, "Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

In Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Life" he talks about how God knew you before you were conceived. He knew all of the things you would suffer, achieve and fail at. He knew that all of those things would mold you to do the Purpose He had in mind for you. He used all of the experiences you have had to place in your heart a dream or purpose for your life.

That purpose has to do with what makes you come alive. My question for you right now is: "What is it that makes you come alive?" "What makes you burn with passion when you encounter it?"

Jesus is standing before you asking, "What is it that you want?"

Your job is to be His hands and feet and His job is to make the way for you to do your purpose.




No comments: