Welcome to REAL Men RoCK

This blog is about the issues men face and things I have experienced.

I hope you will be encouraged, challenged, and stirred to take action.

Proverbs 27:17 (The Message)

17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another

REAL Men RoCK

R
ighteous   E ncouraging   A ccountable   L oving 

Men 

R
ely on    C hrist's   K indness

Thursday, November 20, 2008

What impact are you making?

The young man rushed home with the letter he just received from his favorite mentor. He was full of excitement about what his friend would say but also a little fearful of any correction he might give. You see this young man was a leader who was under the age of what the current society thought a leader or teacher should be.

Imagine the relief and delight he felt as he read these words, "Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope; to "Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

With those words ringing in his head Timothy no doubt became even more interested in what his mentor, Paul, would have to say. Paul goes on to share instructions for the church, for women, for elders and personally for Timothy.

Let's focus on the personal instructions to Timothy because I believe for those of us who call ourselves, Christians or followers of Jesus, Paul's words to Timothy are for us as well.

Let's begin in 1 Timothy 4: 12 "Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe."
13 Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching.
14 Do not neglect the spiritual gift, within you, which was bestowed upon you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery.
15 Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress may be evident to all.
16 Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things; for as you do this you will insure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you.

Here are fie things I find Paul is telling us today through his instructions to Timothy.

Timothy was probably in his late 20's or early 30's and the tradition of society at that time was that you had to be older to be a teacher or leader. First, Paul encouraged Timothy not to let those who judged him for his age not to become a discouragement. No matter what your age you are to pursue the calling God has given you. The nature of being a leader makes you a target so do not let the arrows shot at you become your focus.

Second, Let your speech, conduct, love, faith and purity be an positive example for those who you come in contact with. These are the things people will be influenced by and remember about you.

Third, Do not neglect the spiritual gift that the Holy Spirit has brought to you. When you accepted Jesus and received the Holy Spirit you also received a spiritual gift that God wants you to use in service to others.

Fourth, We are to be obsessed with doing these things. They are to fill our lives and be evident in everything we do.

Fifth, The action of our lives and what it teaches can bring salvation not only for us but for those who observe us.

My questions for all who read this today are:
Is your life reflecting what Paul shared with Timothy in this scriptures?
Are you being a witness of Jesus through your speech, your conduct, your love, your faith and your purity?

If you answered no to those questions I encourage you to find another person you can trust and ask them to become your encouragement buddy and both of you begin to be a light to those around you through your speech, your conduct, your love, your faith and your purity.

I have to be honest and confess I do not always reflect Jesus in my speech, my conduct, my love, my faith or my purity. I have to daily examine my life to make the course corrections to move me to being a better example. I have hope though that when I rely on the Holy Spirit instead my own strength I am more likely to be the example God wants me to be.

If we will do this we will one day stand in front of the Creator of all things and hear Him say, "Well done my servant, welcome to my Kingdom." and then we will see those who came to Jesus because of our speech, our conduct, our love, our faith or our purity.

Please share your comments about how God spoke to you through this post.

No comments: